January 11, 2015
Want to learn how to weave on a backstrap loom? Then it’s time for you to join one of our tours to Guatemala! Our next tour will be in July and it is filling fast so visit our website to get an application soon.
Education and More is now accepting requests for dedicated tours for your group to go to Guatemala to learn backstrap weaving with our expert Mayan artisan weavers. We have a limited number of dates available, so if your guild is interested please contact us. These weaving tours are for 6-8 participants and you will learn all aspects of backstrap weaving the Guatemalan Mayan way.
Visit us at our website and learn more, then contact us for more information.
The warp threads are put on the backstrap loom while still wet
November 21, 2014
I would like you to meet Sergio!
Sergio is the son of one of our artisans and would very much like to finish high school and go on to the University.
His mother is a single mother with 2 boys to care for and is needing help with the cost of educating Sergio so he can finish his last year in high school next year and then perhaps go on to the University.
They live in a two room home with no electricity or running water. His mother has been using all of her available money to try to keep her two boys in school. Sergio’s grades are excellent so we are hoping to find a sponsor or receive donations for his education.
More information about our sponsorship program is on our website:
September 30, 2014
We have been blessed with many volunteers — individuals, churches, schools and organizations that will be hosting a sale and showing and selling the beautiful Fair Trade weavings and handcrafts from our artisans!
Our upcoming sales include:
- Arkansas Fiber Extravaganza, Hot Springs Arkansas, September 18 – 20
- Junior League Holiday Galleria, Century II Convention Center, Wichita Kansas – October 2 -5
- Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Rochester Minnesota – October 4-5
- Ten Thousand Villages, Lawrence Kansas, Trunk Show – October 16 – 18
- Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Wichita Kansas – October 25
- First Christian Church, Abilene, Texas – October 31 – November 2
- Lake Travis United Methodist Church, Austin Texas – November 8
- Kansas State University Fair Trade Marketplace, Student Union, Manhattan, Kansas – November 12-14
- Bizarre Bazaar 2014, Lawrence, Kansas – November 28 – 29
- Community Fellowship Church, Lawrenceburg, Indiana – December 4-6
- Zion Lutheran Church, Leola Pennsylvania, December 5-6
- Clarkston United Methodist Church, Clarkston Michigan – December 6-7
- St. James Catholic School, Sewickley Pennsylvania, December 7 – 11
- Tomahawk United Methodist Church, Tomahawk Wisconsin
- Falk School, Pitttsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Environmental Charter School, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
- St Francis Xavier Church, St Louis, Missouri
- Atlantic Iowa Fair Trade, Atlantic Iowa
Be sure to let us know if you would like to host a sale at your church or in your home. See more information on our website here.
Thank you to all our volunteers! Each and every sale makes a tremendous difference in the lives of the women and their families!
September 22, 2014
How would you like to make a difference in the lives of women and their families in Guatemala — in your own home?
- Help them earn a fair income?
- Help them with better living conditions?
- Help them afford medical care for their children?
- Help them educate their children?
Host a Fair Trade party!
Sell beautiful scarves, purses, home decor and more to your family and friends. Every party, every sale helps artisans earn money to help care for their families.
Have fun and earn free hostess gifts with your party!
“But I don’t have room for a party at my home!” Then think of other possibilities:
- a girl’s night out party at a restaurant,
- an office party at lunch time,
- patio party,
- late night in the dorm party,
- co-host with a friend at her house
- before or after church services
Go to our website for more information and to register your party today! During this holiday season give a woman and her family hope for the future by hosting a party!
July 23, 2014
Have you heard about was Friendship Day. I don’t remember hearing about it but what a great idea!
Friendship Day, by some sources, was started in 1919 by the Hallmark Company but eventually died out although it was revived in 1935 when Congress set the first Sunday in August as Friendship Day here is the U.S.A. The United Nations recognized International Friendship Day in 2011.
I think it is time I get on the ball and let my friends know about Friendship Day. I think I will send a card or maybe spend time with my friends via FaceTime or Skype and for all my friends reading this you may get a little remembrance from me too.
If you want to give a little gift then order some of Education And More’s friendship thread bracelets. We have lots of styles and colors in our Etsy store and also in our online store. They are very inexpensive and what a great little remembrance! Since they are a fair trade handcraft you will be giving a gift to the artisan who made the bracelet as well as your friends!
As C.S. Lewis said,
” Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival. “
Have fun and enjoy your friends on
Friendship Day this year– August 3, 2014.
July 16, 2014
Need a gift? Read on to see some great Christian gifts in our webstore that will help you make a difference with your purchase! A difference because the producer, the maker of the product will receive a fair income for their work!
We have clerical stoles in blue, green, and white. What a wonderful gift for your deacons, elders, Pastor. Have you thought about hanging them on the wall in the fellowship hall or in the church office? These stoles have been handwoven on backstrap looms by our artisan group, Chuchi Weavers, and they are then meticulously hand embroidered in the gold threads. Below is a photo of the weavers that you are helping when you purchase these stoles.
Our prayer pockets were designed by one of our Board of Directors and she not only designed them but wrote the poem that goes with the little pocket. Such a great gift for tucking into a greeting card! We have fundraisers available with these prayer pockets so check out our Fundraising category in our webstore. Great to earn money for a mission trip or for your church programs!
A cross constructed with the intricate method of wheat weaving is another gift idea that is Fair Trade + Christian + Eco Friendly. We have 2 sizes so you can order for gifts that could be hung on the wall, used as a gift package decoration or hung on the Christmas tree. Perfect gift for Easter or Christmas.
Friendship Bracelets are such fun and you can use them to share the Gospel with your friends. We have English and Spanish versions! Take some with you on a mission trip to Spanish speaking countries!
We have more Fair Trade Christian Gifts in our Etsy store too!